Sunday, September 26, 2010

Adorable Lulav and Etrog Cookies and Sukkah Craft

How cute is this?

We made a basic sugar cookie recipe- divided it in half and added yellow food coloring to the one half and green to the other- just keep adding food coloring until you get a nice desired color.

We then took the green dough and made Lulavs with the hadas and aravos and the rings, then with the yellow dough made etrogs. We baked them and ate them in the Sukkah- the kids loved it. They loved mixing them, shaping them, watching them bake and then eating them!

Here the recipe we used, but you can use any sugar cookie recipe:
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • We just mixed it all together. The kids used their hands to 'knead' it into a solid ball, but you can also use a kitchen aid if need be. Half the fun is mixing it and getting all full of dough:)

I then gave each munchkin a piece of card stock with an outline of a Sukkah. I gave them glue, Popsicle sticks, stickers and they went outside and collected leaves. Then they made their own Sukkah designs and we hung them up in our Sukkah for all to see, check out their creations!

Enjoy the holiday!

7 comments:

  1. we did this! and added a chocolate chip to the etrog for a pitom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that idea- will do it next year:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute ideas!! I will add them to my list to do next year. :)

    Thank you for stopping by my blog tonight (Creative Learning Fun). I wanted to send you this message in case you didn't get my reply. I just love your blog! I've been "following" yours for a while now. :) Yes, I am Jewish.. I would love to be included in your list. Thank you for putting that together. I am always looking for other Jewish mom's to "follow" :)

    ~ Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. adorable! chag sameach to you and yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! I'm so excited to have found your blog. We don't homeschool currently, but it's constantly being discussed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! So adorable. Do you think first graders would enjoy putting a sukkah together on cardstock?
    I was thinking of also having them make and edible sukkah in class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such cute ideas! I am thinking of doing this for my first graders at the religious school I work at. I have done this with my preschoolers and it always is adorable.
    Thanks for your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...